Prof. J. B. Shetty
|Name||Prof. J. B. Shetty|
|Subject Area||Marketing, Sales, Retail, Merchandising and Supply Chain Management|
Prof. J.B. Shetty has over 40 years of varied experience in industry and 7 years in academics & consultancy. He has held senior positions in Marketing, Retail, Merchandising, Brand Management and Supply Chain Management. He has held positions of Vice President Sales, Retail Head, and Manager Merchandising and Distribution (Retail) with MNC brands such as Bata, Nike and Lotto. He has experience in introducing new brands in Indian markets, such as Nike, Lotto, Tommy Hilfiger shoes, Disney Shoes and Vicks.
He has launched two new brands Verlon and Hawaiana during his tenure in Bata. He has Consulting experience in Footwear, Merchandising and Healthcare segments. He was awarded by Mr Bata for his lead role in introducing automation in the supply system in 1990 & for his sense of urgency in restarting the devastated Mount road flagship store in 1988.
He is a visiting faculty since past 6 years in many of the B schools of Bangalore apart from being associated with Sikkim Manipal Distance Education in their content building activities for online education.
He has widely travelled across different parts of the world such as USA, Canada,UK, Italy, Singapore, Indonesia and China for training, attending seminars, brand acquisition & merchandise buy.
- Management Development program at IIM Kolkatta
- Diploma in Footwear ( Canadian Institute of Footwear)
- Diploma in Export –Import.
- B.Sc (Physics & Chemistry-Mysore University)
- Vice President Sales (Nike & Lotto Licensee)
- General Manager Sales (Nike/Tommy Hilfiger/Disney/ Licensee)
- Regional Sales Manager(Nike/Levis Licensee-Franchisee)
- Dy General Manager (Dees Teleshopping Network)
- Marketing Consultant Bata
- Senior Export Manager Bata
- Group Brand Manager Bata
- Retail Head (East & North east) Bata
- Manager Merchandising & Distribution (South) Bata.
- Asst Manager Merchandising & Distribution (South, West & Adidas brand) Bata
- Brand Manager Sandak & Verlon, Bata
- Area Sales Manager (Maharashtra/Goa) B2B, Bata
- Area Sales Manager (Kerala/part TN/part Karnataka) B2B, Bata
- Management Trainee at Bata, a two year intensive in-house management development program.
- Territory Representative Vicks – Rural Marketing.
- Visiting Faculty( Retail PGDM) at Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research, Bangalore
- Resource Faculty( Retail ) at Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research, Bangalore for Corporate Training programs.
- Visiting Faculty (Retail PGDM) at Bangalore Management Academy, Bangalore.
- Visiting Faculty (PGDM-Retail & Merchandising) at Indian Business Academy, Bangalore.
- Visiting faculty (MBA – Retail, MBA –Supply Chain Management) at Future Innoversity of the
- Future Group affiliated to IGNOU.
- Resource for IGNOU examinations.
- Reviewed and peer reviewed contents for BBA & MBA – Buying & Merchandising / Store operation & Job Knowledge / Warehouse & Supply Chain Management.
- Role of Educational Programs in enabling the unorganized Retail sector to sustain the current challenges of retailing in India, AIMS International Conference organised at Indus Business Academy Bangalore, Dec. 13-15 2015
- Evolution of footwear Brands in India, Conference on Brand Management, organized at IIT Delhi in association with Curtin University Australia, April 16-17, 2016
- Big Data Analytics in optimising Footwear Supply Chain, conference conducted and sponsored by SPJIMR -POMS India Chapter at SPJIMR-Mumbai, 29-30th July 2016
- Consultant Retail and Merchandising at Innovative Leisure & Entertainment, theme park for 5 years 2007-12, involving domestic and International merchandise buying.
- Consultant,Marketing of Institutional footwear, Product Customization & Theme Park auditing.
Honors & Achievement
- Exploring the China Markets for General Merchandise procurement in 2007 & 2008.
- Part of the two member validation team visiting various places in Italy in 2006 to explore the feasibility of JV arrangement with “stone fly” brand of comfort footwear.
- Launching 2 new lifestyle footwear brands Hawaiana & Verlon. 1994/1986
- Recipient of Tomas Bata Merit award 1991, for taking leadership role in introducing automated Retail Systems, dismantling manual systems and decentralizing distribution network.
- Recipient of Tomas Bata Merit award 1989 for taking lead role in restoring the flagship store after the devastating fire in record one week’s time.
- Attended 3 months Merchandising training program at the Toronto headquarters of Bata Global IN 1990, understanding various emerging concepts at Toronto/New York and UK.
- Led the MERMANCO merchandising program, as Course Leader to impart training at middle management level of Bata 1992.
- Underwent training in design development, an in-house development program at Bata for south east Asian companies 1985.
- Underwent PVC product development program at Bata Jakarta in 1983.
- Adjudged as a member of the winning team of Industrial footwear Marketing program held at Bata Singapore in 1979.
- Underwent PRODEFCO an in-house program of Bata in 1974, designed for their south east Asian companies to understand the dynamics of cost efficiency through innovative re-designing.
- Winner of Tomas Bata Centenary Award for the second best sales at All India level in 1977.
- Pioneered innovative launching of exclusive B2B brand outlet in Calicut in 1976, recognized by the Managing Director of Bata.
- Underwent BALHAM system training in 1974 for optimizing manpower resources.
- Currently authoring a book on Retail Merchandising and a compendium on Footwear Merchandising.